Wednesday, November 02, 2005

You ain't nothing until someone tries to steal your identity

Yesterday evening I received a phone call from the head office of my bank. They informed me that they were canceling my debit card because they suspected it may have been copied and that I should monitor my accounts to see if anything unwarranted is going on. They couldn't provide me with any specific information except that I had to go to my bank branch to get a new card and find out the details. I just returned from my branch and it turns out that the ATM at the convenience store around the corner from my house is suspected of having one of those false fronts that copies your card and a mini camera video tapes your pin number.

There are a million scams like this out there and I've always thought that it would be really easy to pull a lot of them off. The only problem is I could never bring myself to do any of them because I would feel way too guilty ripping innocent people off. I heard somewhere that 1 in 25 people are sociopaths (that seems high to me) meaning that they have no conscience and are incapable of remorse. These people could commit any crime and not feel bad about it because they literally were unable to. The guy who was going around to all the coffee shops and stealing the Tsunami donations boxes would probably be one of these people although there are definitely other motivations for criminals as well and they aren't necessarily all sociopaths.

Dr. Robert Trestman, a professor of psychiatry and vice chairman at the University of Connecticut Health Center who has done 20 years of research on severe mood and personality disorders, said sociopaths are people who

"really do not demonstrate a sense that you're a human. From their perspective, it's them, and everybody else is just as useful to them as a chair, just as meaningless as a chair. So if you hurt or kill, it's no worse than hurting a chair. It's just the utility of the chair as it relates to them."


If that's 1 in 25 people or 4% of the population that's pretty fucked!

tags:, ,

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:27 PM

    Thankfully your bank caught it in time. I hope nothing else comes up for you and that was the end of it. 4% is a heck of a lot of people!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:12 PM

    You're stands for "you are", the apostrophe indicating a missing letter, in this case "a". "Your" identity would be correct.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous12:56 PM

    Yeah I know, it was just a typo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. if there are that many sociopaths, I haven't had the displeasure to meet my quota of them. I don't buy that 4% number. dude has to prove it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always try and hit the card slot a little when I make a withdrawal, if it stays intact it's probably the real thing :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous11:10 PM

    >_> I would feel guilty if I made a dent in a chair, guess that rules me out as the one in 25. Maybe someone accidently left the zero off somewhere and it's actually 1 in 250, that seems better to me.

    ReplyDelete