Monday, November 21, 2005

The good, the bad and the ugly or The legend, the bullshit and the aliens

The Good: Walk The Line
Last night I saw Walk the line the bio pic about Johnny Cash (and June Carter). The movie was great Phoenix and Witherspoon were completely believable in their roles and disbelief was indeed suspended. I think it undeniable that they will be up for oscars. There's no need for me to go on about it, you've heard the hype.

The Bad: The Postman
After getting home from the theatre I turned on the TV and for some reason I stayed up until 4am and watched Kevin Costner's Trainwreck The Postman. Holy shit this movie was so incredibly pointless, unbelievable and insincere and to make matters worse it was about 9 hours long (give or take 6 hours). I shouldn't have even kept watching it but once you get locked into something for an hour you figure hey how much longer could it be? I might as well see what happens. What the Fuck. Just when I thought the movie couldn't get any worse Tom Petty shows up (PLAYING HIMSELF!!!). This movie is set in the future by the way but that didn't make it suck any less. If the movie Battlefield earth mated with the movie Rollerball** their child would be the Postman (and I think even they would give it up for adoption).

The Ugly: Fire in the sky
I just finished watching this one on TV. I should preface this by saying I saw this movie in the theatre when I was 14 and it was the only movie to ever truly scare the fucking hell out of me. I watched horror movies all through my junior high years and was not scared in the least by any of them. Fire in the sky is the only movie that made me sleep with the light on in my room for a week after watching it. I was terrified of being abducted by aliens. I should however note that while watching that movie in the theater a guy showed up about a half hour late and sat directly in front of me and proceeded to put a little white plastic baggie over his face and huffed glue for the remainder of the film. All I could smell for the rest of the showing was fumes so my feeble 14 year old brain may have been half in the bag thus adding to the intensity of the movie (at this age I had never touched a drug or a drop of alcohol, I believed the health class propaganda and had decided firmly in my mind that I was never going to touch an illicit substance. (that only lasted a little while longer)) So I watched it again tonite and I guess I wont really know the effect until I try to go to sleep, but I don't think its going to be an issue because nowadays I know the sting of the electric bill and there's no way in hell I'm leaving a light on all nite.

** Those of you who are extraordinarily attentive may have noticed that "Battlefield Earth" was written by L. Ron Hubbard the creator of scientology and "Rollerball" stars the box office poison Chris Klein who used to be engaged to Katie Holmes before she was swept away by Scientology poster boy Tom Cruise. This pseudo connection is purely coincidental.

tags:, ,

2 comments:

  1. RE: Katie Holmes and Tom Cruise. I almost feel bad for Ms. Holmes. I mean, it was her childhood dream to marry the Tom Cruise from Risky Business. Now she's pregnant and got all of his Scientology stuff to boot. I don't know...it just all reeks of being a funky deal, if you ask me.

    I just saw PRIME, with Meryl Streep. She's so subtle. What a terrific performance. Although, it might just be a chick flick.

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. How do you get the technorati tags to appear at the bottom of your posts? I can't get it to work!
    :(

    ReplyDelete