Friday, November 04, 2005

5 shitty sitcoms that begin with the letter M

Now I realize that criticizing sitcoms is redundant. 99.9% (Seinfeld probably being the only exception to the rule) of them are total crap, relying on the lowest common denominator of comedy all intertwined with a nauseating laugh track.

Major Dad
I have long been of the belief that Major Dad is one of the worst sitcoms of all time. The less said about it the better.
















Mama's Family
When I was a kid I remember that there was a half hour after school where nothing good was on. The only show I remember being on during that void was the torturous Mama's Family. What a fucking abomination. I would rather watch that sitcom where the family has a daughter who's a robot.**






Mr. Belvedere
or as anyone who was in it calls it "acting career poison" was a painful spectacle where a fat imperious British housekeeper moves in with a family for... who the hell cares why. If it had turned out to be true that the kid from this show was Marilyn Manson that would have been the best thing about it. But that's like saying "The best thing about regaining consciousness in a ditch after getting hit in head with a shovel and having your wallet stolen is the fact that you're getting some fresh air from being outside."

Murphy Brown
For some reason this show was popular and was on for like 10 years. That's 10 years that the broadcast world will never get back. It disturbs me that these broadcasts are still floating through space somewhere, one day to be picked up by an alien race who will surely plot the earth's destruction for producing such tripe.



My Two Dads
Most people don't remember this one. Here is the premise. 13 years in the past 2 guys were dating the same woman. They reunite in the present at the reading of the woman's will to find out that they are both to share custody of a 12 year old girl because she didn't know who the real father was. The one guy (unfortunately played by Paul Reiser) is the uptight guy and the other guy is the artistic free spirit type. They all move in together. This is one of those bullshit premises that would never fly in today's age of DNA tests and it probably shouldn't have flown late 80's either.

** In case you're trying to remember the show where they had the robot daughter was called "Small Wonder".

tags:, , ,

11 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:48 PM

    A couple of good ones currently on TV:

    -My Name is Earl
    -The Office
    -Arrested Development
    -Scrubs

    Other than that, I would agree that the rest of them are %#*!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are all good examples of shows you should watch if you want to lose a few I.Q. points, and become emotionally numb, or is that dumb?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think ALL IN THE FAMILY is one of the funniest shows ever produced. NO, I'm NOT a racist pig: read on...

    My father IS a definitive cross between Archie Bunker and Ralph Kramdom. When I was a kid, I thought Archie was mean, and I hated the show. Now that I am in my mid-thirties, I love to watch the show because I realize that Archie is one of the most ignorant (if ot the most ignorant) character ever to grace the TV...and he's just a complete idiot. The joke is on him, to be sure.

    p.s. This is a really tough question, but I know you'll muster up enough gusto to answer it, Dee:

    Which Greg Evegan show was worse--My Two Dads
    or
    B.J. and the Bear???????

    ReplyDelete
  4. By the way, I just nominated you for a fun, weekly weblog 'prize'.

    Click here for details and to download your nomination chicklet:

    miladysa.blogspot.com

    (I won last week, so good luck!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations!!!! You have been nominated by Bhakti for FBF (Fit Bit Friday). Please pop over and collect your Nominee Tiara! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow this brought back a lot of memories! Remember "What's Happening?" Loved that show. Mindless TV---gotta love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous4:56 AM

    You forgot Miami Vice and Magnum.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Dee...I JUST realized that you were refering to my ARE YOU NORMAL post (re: the fact that you are male and not female)...I've updated the post. Sorry for the mix-up!

    P.S. Good luck on winning 'the crown'! :v)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Found you on Blog Explosion ... and had almost burned "Mama's Family" from my brain until reading this post. Good grief!! I remember those same 1/2 hour after school moments ... except at my house, only a few channels to choose from, and it was that or the news. Boo.

    Thanks for the laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was with you up until Murphy Brown, that was a great show. Talk about women's lib!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous7:26 PM

    Weird how you speak with such authority and expertise about such a crappy genre.

    ReplyDelete