Sunday, October 30, 2005

Everyday is Halloween

A friend of my sister's came up with an idea which she relayed to me. It's basically as follows: Imagine someone emigrated to North America from another country (for the sake of this idea lets say a rural area in a country that is not a part of the "western world")Now Imagine that the day they arrived it was Halloween, they would probably think that the way we do things over here is pretty crazy. When she first presented me with this I thought it was funny and imagined this person looking at hordes of children dressed up in bizarre outfits going door to door for an unknown reason. I wondered if the person would think that this is everyday life for us over here. But the more I thought about it the more I came to think that Halloween (to someone from a remote region of a far off land) would be no more strange than how we DO live our everyday lives. If you look at the large scope of western fashion alone (even what the average person wears) it would probably be virtually impossible to tell the difference between most peoples clothes and a Halloween costume. From the middle aged woman with an inch of makeup, a spray on tan, and bouffant hairdo and a dress from 1965 to some decked out goth kid how would a new arrival really be able to tell the difference. I also think that Halloween would probably be a mere blip on the radar compared to all the other sights and sounds of any town USA.

tags:, ,

4 comments:

  1. Yeah, I'd have to agree. We got some freaky-dos around here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1:57 PM

    What I did i was wearing crazy clothes just befor heloween and people reacted like they wouldnt notice it, but on heloween everybody made compliments about my crazy clothes...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:01 PM

    I had a freind years ago who was from Colombia. He had gone down to visit with his family over the christmas holiday, and he took his camcorder to show us what it was like. On hte day before Christmas, they have people that dress up as Devils, skeletons and other gholish creatures. As I understood it, they would dress up to scare the evil spirits away before Christmas day. We arnt the only ones with really strange holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Type Brighter: You've been TAGGED! See my blog for details.

    :v)

    ReplyDelete