Wednesday, May 10, 2006

50 Year Old Food!

So I picked up a few mini cookbooks the other day. They were all published in the fifties. Oh what a glorious era. Here are a few pics.

I don't know what this really is but would you really want to eat something that looks like that?


I think the reason that souffle's have lost popularity is because this is what they are supposed to look like when you cook it right.


I have to admit that these look pretty good. These are the kind of treats that are made exclusively by old ladies and found only at church bake sales. Mainly because you couldn't find a single one of the ingredients in a modern day supermarket. They're probably packed with all sorts of archaic fats and shortening that you can only find in Grandma's 50 year old pantry.


This is some sort of an egg dish, you can tell by the cock on the table. Also it seems like this dish is to be served with a goblet of blood.


This cake is not made for mortals. I mean look at it, its furry and practically glows. I bet this is the kind of cake God has on his birthday.


Look at that luncheon spread. Lets face it, lunch isn't lunch without 5 different types of processed meat. I would also like to point out that it looks like these were they days before pimento loaf had macaroni and cheese and peppers and all the other stuff added.... Just green olives... We really have come a long way as a society


"You know you're not having dessert until you finish you're giant hunk of meat."

50 Year Old Food! Part 2

4 comments:

  1. THAT'S what a souffle is supposed to look like? Then I think you're right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:06 PM

    Holy shit...the captions are killing me. I've almost got tears in my eyes. Too funny...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous1:16 AM

    For more, see The Gallery of Regrettable Food, which is not only a hilarious book by James Lileks but also a portion of his Web site: http://www.lileks.com/institute/gallery/index.html.

    I'm not affiliated with him in any way, but I love his book and its snarky goodness. If you have the opportunity, I highly recommend checking it out.

    ReplyDelete