Friday, May 19, 2006

no loss for words

Check out this excerpt from a conversation between Michael and Eko from the last episode of Lost.

Michael: I hear you're a priest
Eko: yes
Michael: I guess you believe in hell then
Eko: For a brief time I served in a small parish in England, and Every Sunday after mass I would see a young boy waiting at the back of the church. Then one day the boy confessed to me that he had beaten his dog to death with a shovel, he said that the dog had bitten his baby sister on the cheek and he needed to protect her and he wanted to know whether he would go to hell for this. I told him that God would understand, that he would be forgiven as long as he was sorry, but the boy did not care about forgiveness, he was only afraid that if he did go to hell that dog would be there waiting for him.

end of scene.

How fucking awesome is that. I'm definitely going to start talking like that, just answering questions with hard hitting, moral cautionary tales that are completely suited and relevant for the occasion. Seriously though why do we accept things in TV and the movies that are so far from reality, No one talks like that in real life. I wish they did though. No more small talk no more bullshit, everything that is said has an explicit purpose and is chock full of symbolism and foreshadowing. How strange would that be?

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:35 AM

    That kind of dialogue in Lost is starting to piss me off though, the only one who doesn't really do it is Hurley....bah anyway love your site laters!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:15 AM

    hurley works at a pizza place/mafia off track horse betting near my apartment

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's the island that makes them talk like that. . .and see polar bears.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous4:33 PM

    I can verify now that these are typical events for small parishes in England, though most small parish tend to be Anglican - England is not really a Catholic stronghold.

    ReplyDelete