Tuesday, September 20, 2005

written on the bathroom wall

I am going to start photographically documenting all the bizarre things I see written in washrooms. Yesterday on a paper towel dispenser I saw this written "I fucked my dog...and your dog bucked me". Now it is far beyond my comprehension why anyone would ever take the time to write that. Its not funny (at least not to me) and it there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason for its existence. I don't know what its like in women's washrooms but you would be hard pressed to find a public men's room that isn't covered in all sorts of writing. Not all of it is idiot, obscene and/or insulting once in a while there is a little tidbit of thought. My favorite thing I've seen written so far is this "Modern music has no class". That's it! It was in really small writing next to something that was written really large and worth forgetting.

I believe that we only achieve true independent thought when we are alone without (major) distractions. In the world we live in today most people don't spend any time at all distraction free except maybe the 5 minutes they spend in the washroom (unless they are the type that reads). So if there are 2 types of people (in terms of washroom time) the readers and the writers I would hope that the writers use their couple minutes of independent thought to come up with something that may be at least a little bit thought provoking. I've never forgotten about "Modern music has no class" and that was probably 7 years ago. It got me thinking rather in depth about the state of modern music and where along the way it did in fact lose its class. It also got me wondering what particular music the writer had been referring to and what had led him to that specific conclusion. In closing I would like to say may all the dog fuckers lose their pens and the thinkers keep writing.

tags:, , ,

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:37 PM

    Girl's Washrooms:
    Mostly we tend to have the ever-present blah <3 blah, blah wuz here, or blah is a B*@ch. At my previous school when "there is a camera above you" appeared on the back of one of the stall doors it brought with it a stir of commotion. I've never really seen anything worthwhile in one though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2:03 AM

    my favourite was found in one of the many washrooms around oxford university:
    the ancient greek word for 'i really have to fart right now'.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of the restaurants in Toronto, Canada had a chalkboard installed in the washroom. The usually tacky graffiti was scrawled across it but the best, appearing in December simply said, "Merry Christmas to all our readers."

    Sometimes, but rarely, graffiti is funny.

    "I shout with laughter, I jump for joy, because I was here before Kilroy."

    "Sorry to spoil your little joke - I was here but my pencil was broke." Signed Kilroy.

    ReplyDelete