Wednesday, September 07, 2005

we didn't start the fire

Today I made a pot of chili using 3 different types of peppers. Jalapeno's, chili peppers and those light green ones. Anyway I was obviously handling the peppers when cutting them up and everything was fine at the time but about half an hour later my hands started to burn really bad. I washed my hands thoroughly and figured it wouldn't last long. MY HANDS HAVE BEEN BURNING FOR 6 HOURS. I did a little research and found out that once your hands start to burn its too late to wash it off and it has to be treated. Apparently I have to get rid of the capsaicin.

cap·sa·i·cin
n.
A colorless, pungent, crystalline compound, C18H27NO3, that is derived from capsicum and is a strong irritant to skin and mucous membranes.

To get rid of the capsaicin I need rubbing alcohol (none here) or bleach (none here) and then use milk (no dairy in the house) or aloe (none here) to soothe the skin. I think I'm gonna have to wait it out.

tags: . ,

1 comment: