Thursday, August 09, 2007

I haven't showered in more than 2 weeks

So I live in an apartment that is (supposed to be) all inclusive. The problem is that our landlord is really bad at paying bills. The gas was cut of near the end of the winter for a week and we are always getting the "We are going to cut off your hydro in 7 days" notices. Well the gas got cut off 18 days ago and we haven't seen it since. Luckily in this weather we don't need the heat only the hot water. In the last 18 days I have had about 30-40 seconds of shower time. There have been some really hot days here and the way to do it is to leave the shower all day so that the water in the pipes above ground warms up and then you have maybe 5-10 seconds of bearable water before it gets too cold. The obvious solution people offer is "just move" but the thing is I live in an area I really like for less than this area generally costs, so I sort of look at it like If I want to have cheap rent in this area I'm also going to have to deal with some stuff. Also I think part of my brain enjoys the challenge of removing modern day comforts. I mean people got by without showers for thousands of years also you don't realize how much you appreciate things until they are gone. I now know what is was like to have to boil water whenever you wanted to wash dishes or fill a bath.

Speaking of modern day comforts last week during pretty much the hottest day of the year (I think they said with the humidex it felt like 45 degrees Celsius (thats 113 degrees Fahrenheit) and as far as I'm fucking concerned if it feels like 45 then it is 45) I came up to use my computer and it was not working and wouldn't turn on. It turned out to just be my power supply that had burnt out in the heat (a $10 fix) but it really had me worried that I had lost everything on my hard drives. Makes me think I should back everything up...... nahh. I'm going to use the computer crash as an excuse as to why I haven't updated the site.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:03 PM

    Haha. A computer crash is no excuse. I'm sure there are other computers availible to you. But I don't think you really want to go searching for a working computer just to update this...
    113 degrees? Wow. We've been having weird weather here. It's been raining a lot. Global warming?
    I agree with you on the living situation. Who needs showers?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wait a minute...yr not showering cuz you don't have HOT water?? Yet its 45 degrees? Am i missing something?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous4:34 PM

    well it may seem like a cold shower in a heat wave is no problem but that is definitely not the case.... the temperature contrast is so much that its a total shock to the system... you feel like you're about to have a heart attack.

    ReplyDelete