Sunday, June 13, 2004

only an impulse buy in the sky



I finished the Da Vinci Code today and here is what pissed me off.

--> First of all I have to state that it took me a while before I even decided to start it after reading
Dan Brown's previous book "Angels and Demons"

--> Dan Brown is a shitty writer (which is why it took me so long to actually start the Da Vinci Code.)

--> I would have preferred to read a completely dry text of all the research that went into both of those books.

--> Brown fails with his paper thin characters, gut wretchingly forced dialogue and imagery, completely
formulaic plot and things that just downright annoy the hell out of me (at least in this one he only refers to Langdons Tweed Jacket 12 times....That's right I counted because in the last book it seemed that he mentioned it on every other page and it really started to make me cringe.....look at the fucking picture of Brown in the back of the book wearing his own fucking tweed and it makes it even more annoying.)

--> One thing that really pissed me off was the fact that because the media had jumped all over this book when it came out I knew every "secret" before they happened so there was no surprises....That's total bullshit...(If you've heard a bunch of stuff about this book, making you think wow that sounds interesting, chances are you've heard all the interesting facts in the book) Why would all those fuckers reviewing the book give away so much.

--> Who the hell makes their villain an albino, seriously?

--> Lastly I will say what I said about Angels and Demons. It was really well researched and there was a lot of interesting info in it......but like I said earlier I would have rather read all that info in a dry direct essay rather than a tabloid novel.

--> I should add that Angels and Demons and the Da Vinci code are the only books that I've ever read which fall into the "modern for the masses" category.... you know those books that you can buy at convenience stores, grocery stores and gas stations....these books may be fine for some people but I guess they're not really my thing.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:34 AM

    Thank you. I almost got a divorce over this book. (I never told my wife that I considered this) After she professed the utmost greatness of this book I read it. I lost all respect for her. Is she really that inept as to think that the book is good.

    I may be going over board with the divorce, but come on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2:00 PM

    I couldn't even get myself to pick up the book, let alone read it. I was 'unsold' the minute my cousin started preaching to me about the religious context of the book. I don't even think she knows what a bible is.

    You're right...it probably belongs right next to Danielle Steele. Definitely not next to any 'real' worthy book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:45 AM

    thank god i'm not the only one who noticed the suspicious brown/langdon tweed jacket connection. the only reason i don't feel the time spent reading was wasted is bc, while ignorance is bliss, i now have a legitimate basis for despising dan brown & all of his sycophants.

    ReplyDelete