Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Computers: Those Amazing Machines 1985 Gallery

I was at a thrift store today and I picked this book up for 13 cents. It was originally 25 cents and everything was 50% off ( but they rounded up, what a rip off).


This fella likes to take his laptop where ever he goes, he even has a solar panel attachment to keep the power flowing. The lappy features a large display for all your ascii needs and at a lightweight 25 lbs you can take word processing anywhere you go. No need for a pad and pen when you're living in the future.


I don't know about you but if I were to build a robot it's primary function would be watering plants too. I mean who can think of another task that is so difficult and tedious.


This here is the Lucas Film crew in 1985 they are using 9 computers to calculate how long it will take before George Lucas destroys the Star Wars franchise. The Answer: under 20 years


Speaking of Star Wars, does anyone remember this gem?


Herbie Hancock demonstrates an instrument that he says will replace the guitar by 1991.


Robot art, the legend continues.


This has to be my favorite photo that I've seen in a long time. On the right is the robotic version of a seeing eye dog. It looks like it could be a promo pic from an old John Woo movie. "A Blinder tomorrow"


This machine reads books to blind people. Pretty cool its the size of a washing machine and costs $22 million dollars. Books on tape? fuck em! We're living in the future.


The worst thing about buying a spider droid from a Jawa after a long day on the moisture farm is moving it around. Not to worry this one climbs easily into the back of your el camino.


After sorting out his comb-over Bob gets to work at a simpler task of organizing the wires.


This place is called Xanadu The house of the future.


In 1985 I was 7 years old. These kids look to be about that age and let me tell you if I had known them at the time I would have hated their guts. My family got our first TV when I was 5 and it was black and white. Also when I was in Elementary school there was 5 computers for our whole school and they were commodore 64's. These little bastards have 2 TV's in their room alone and a computer not to mention that they live in Xanadu the house of the future.


by the looks of things the prissy, tie wearing, $4 haircut having, motherfucker is about to take a harsh beating from the other kids.

5 comments:

  1. Ideas of the future past are always fun. Or is it past future? Whatever... we're living in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL ... You said, "Hancock"...

    ReplyDelete
  3. old technology photos are a hoot!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm wondering how the blind boy would know where to put the book when he turned the page?? How to line it up with the computer reading book thingy, etc.

    This is a great post!! Thanks, Dee. You always amaze! You should write a book about modern culture!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want a spider droid!

    Seriously, that thing looks creepy and awesome at the same time.

    ReplyDelete