Thursday, February 09, 2006

As long as we've got each other

The other night on Larry King live there was a "Growing Pains Reunion". I was watching it during the commercials of something else (I swear). I'm always interested in these situations to see how the actors justify their current career without admitting to the fact that they're golden days of stardom are long in the past.

As they were going around the table asking everyone what they were up to I couldn't wait for it to get to Jeremy Miller (who played Ben Seaver). This guy disappeared! I mean he vanished faster than a lazy roommate when its time to clean the kitchen. So he says he's been doing acting work in China. But here's the disturbing part Growing Pains is apparently huge in China due to the fact that they only ever have 2 American shows playing there at one time.

According to Alan Thicke in the 80's the only 2 American shows were Growing Pains and Hunter (if you remember Hunter its even stranger that it was the only other show to play). To compound all of this they said that in China they don't think of Growing Pains as a comedy. They take is as a serious show which teaches life lessons etc. The show did have a fair bit of veiled preachyness but what I find disturbing is that there may be a generation of Chinese people who think that growing pains is an accurate representation of the average American family. I mean if that's the only window they were given into the American life its quite possible.

I am also trying to imagine a situation where all the Chinese government officials were sitting around picking through all the 80s sitcoms for one that would be acceptable.

Full House - Possible homosexual undertones OUT
Cheers - Promotes lavish and excessive western gluttony OUT
Perfect Strangers - Balki???????? OUT
Family Ties - Alex P. Keaton is an obvious capitalist OUT
Alf - Family harbors alien but doesn't report it OUT
The Cosby Show - Family with 4 daughters?? OUT
Night Court - Democratic justice system OUT
Growing Pains - Father works from home, Mother is professional, 3 kids, morally wholesome, Mikes best friend's name is Boner IN

7 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:37 AM

    No man no. Balki rocks!


    roflol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:09 AM

    That is soo funny...I saw the Larry King episode too and I was embarrest for Ben...he was trying to justify his life as a regular citizen!! Explaining chinese cooking and all!! I felt bad for him!!! I dont know why, but I cannot watch Alan Thicke- I always thought he was a cheeseball!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to watch this show when I was a kid everyday after school. I wish it was still on.

    James@www.willisu.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't see the Larry King episode, but I'm willing to bet that Leonardo DiCaprio wasn't on! Having him there would have just made the rest seem even more pathetic...

    ReplyDelete
  5. my brother-in-law's girlfriend is from Amsterdam and when she was visiting last week, she was completely ENTHRALLED when Full House was on TV....I coulda died laughing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. But Kirk Cameron is still hot, right? Right?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous3:19 PM

    This post made me laugh so hard I wanted to cry... a problem because I work at court and we were in the middle of a temporary protection order hearing. Something about the word "boner"...

    ReplyDelete