Monday, January 02, 2006

King Kong (the new one and the old one)


I should state a few things off the bat for those of you who don't know me or haven't read all the posts on this site.

I was not a very big fan of the Lord of the Rings movies.They were ok but I certainly wasn't blown away by them and I certainly don't think any of them should be in the top 25 movies of all time

I am also not a very big fan of CGI For the most part scenery looks ok these days but I really dislike it when characters and "living things" are computer generated.

Before watching the new King Kong I decided to watch the original. As we all know the original is regarded as one of the greatest films in history, but I have to say that it really doesn't stand the test of time. I realize that I watched it for the first time in 2005 (72 years after it was made). But this brings me to an idea that my brother introduced me to. For films there are "classics" and "timeless classics". King Kong is certainly a classic (the film was revolutionary in its day) but it isn't a timeless classic. I honestly found parts of it extremely hard to get through. In comparison there are many films from the same period that are still amazing and relevant today. But that's an argument for another time.

The 2005 remake was pretty good. It was nice to see Jackson put his own spin on the original he even added a few clever elements to the script in reference to the original. King Kong actually looks O.K. for a character created with CGI, much better than Golem or anything from Star Wars parts 1-3. There are however a few things that I take issue with.
* The CGI dinosaurs look like a bag of shit, they look no better than the ones in Jurrassic park which was made in 1993.
* Jack Black although a great comedy actor is not very good in a serious role (at least not this one).
* I'm no animal expert but I don't think a giant gorilla would ever stand a chance in a fight against 3 Tyrannosaurus Rex's no matter how "in love" he was.
*I was kind of annoyed by the way that Ann Darrow "fell" for King Kong and had genuine feelings for him. By Contrast it was almost comical that in the original she felt nothing for him and didn't even care when he was killed. But I guess those were the days before the idea of Stockholm syndrome was popularized.

There is a scene in the new one that takes place in a cavern with a bunch of giant bugs and it is one of the creepiest things I've seen in a film in a long time.

Apparently the original King Kong is Peter Jackson's favorite movie of all time and it is what inspired him to get into film making. I like to think that Jackson was driven to make this film because he considers himself to be the King Kong character. If the ladies could only see past his simian appearance they would actually love him.

4 comments:

  1. Interesting review. I have no interest in seeing King Kong simply because of the absurdity of a giant Ape taking Manhattan. I think the only reason they liked it back then was because there were few options. Today, it's stupid to do a remake considering it's such a ridiculous idea for a movie. You were kinder to it than I would have been.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel almost disloyal that I have not even seen it yet, it is long and I don't have the patience right now to sit through it.
    ( surfed here through blogclicker btw)

    ReplyDelete
  3. ha! I think you're on to something regarding Peter Jackson and his simian appearance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "The Dinosuars sucked" - YES!
    "Jack Black sucked" - YES!
    "Ann Darrow shouldn't like REALLY big hairy men" - maybe... but I guess it made Kong more of a character you could relate to.

    "The T-Rex's would have kicked Kong's butt" - WRONG! Being an expert (kidding), I'm gonna have to say that it was actually pretty believable (as far as 20ft. tall apes fighting 20ft. tall dinosaurs goes). I absolutely loved this scene in the movie... If a chimpanzee is 4 times stronger than an average 6 foot tall male, then I think a 20 foot tall gorilla could woop up on some lizards with overgrown teeth. :)

    Okay, I am officially a nerd.

    ReplyDelete